Grants Available for Projects and Workforce Development
Specific to Sustainable Energy
JOHNSTOWN, PA – The Met-Ed / Penelec Sustainable Energy Fund will distribute $270,000 in grants throughout the Pennsylvania service territories of the Met-Ed and Penelec energy companies in 2019.
- The fund will distribute $195,000 in grants this year for projects and programs that support the development and use of clean energy technologies and energy efficiency. Grants will range from $2,000 to $50,000 depending on the scope of the projects. Applications will be reviewed in two rounds. They will be accepted online from January 15 through March 15, with decisions to be made in July 2019. They will be accepted again from August 15 through October 15, with decisions to be made in December 2019.
- The fund will also distribute three grants of $25,000 each in 2019 for programs within the fund territories that support workforce development in the sustainable energy field. Applications will only be accepted online from January 15 through March 15, 2019.
Previously, grant applications for the Met-Ed / Penelec Sustainable Energy Fund were accepted year-long on a rolling basis. Note that these are no longer rolling grant opportunities. Applications must be completed online by the stated deadlines to be considered.
The mission of the Met-Ed / Penelec Sustainable Energy Fund is to provide grants, loans, and equity investments to promote:
- the development and use of renewable energy and clean energy technologies
- energy conservation and efficiency
- sustainable energy businesses
- and projects that improve the environment in the companies’ territories, as defined by their relationship to the companies’ transmission and distribution facilities.
While the fund primarily provides grants, it may also consider making program-related investments from time to time. Program-related investments provide capital that you must pay back (loans). The benefit of a program-related investment is the ability to receive a larger amount of capital for a project than what is available through the grant program. Program- related investments range from $25,000 to $500,000.
Eligible applicants must be located and/or serve residents within the territories of the Met-Ed and Penelec electric companies in Pennsylvania. Grant funding is prioritized for nonprofit entities, however commercial or industrial organizations may apply. Individuals/residents are not eligible to apply.
More information, applications, and ZIP codes serviced by Met-Ed and Penelec are available here and here.
The Metropolitan Edison Company Sustainable Energy Fund of Berks County Community Foundation and the Pennsylvania Electric Company Sustainable Energy Fund of the Community Foundation for the Alleghenies distribute money in the form of grants and investments for a variety of projects within the territories originally served by the two electric companies. The two funds share an advisory committee and are known in the singular as the Met-Ed / Penelec Sustainable Energy Fund.